Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Monday takes the cake.

I feel like we should give Monday an award for constantly kicking every other day's ass at being able to, despite all circumstances, be the roughest day of the week. I mean, I'm used to the terrible waking up early after two sleeping in days, used to the first few hours of class that feel like a sin, the dread that you have four more days of sitting in class while it is sunny out (okay so not so much here but still.)

(SMALL FREAK OUT MOMENT I JUST HEARD THUNDER! YAYYYYYY! I love Tuesdays.)

Let me just tell you though, about my Monday (yesterday) and why I am sure that I will never be able to say "Monday sucks" again without just being grateful that it wasn't my day yesterday.
So in order to stay here for a year, they told us (they being the ISA people) that we just have to get a year long visa. About three weeks ago, I was reading my visa and realized, oh hey, PS it expires at the end of November. At which point I asked our director Gloria what was going on and she remembered that we needed to actually apply for residency and get a residency card. Begin the official fight with the Spanish police. After trip one down to the Center and then up into the ghetto we left the police with some rando papers to get stamped at a bank. Blah blah that isn't exciting, bank stamping, passport pictures in a photo booth (ps we are NOT smarter than photobooths, as I discovered 8euro later) and such business.

Let's jump to yesterday. Wake up, full on down pour, walk to class, literally get blown into a tree, and Facbook stalk for an hour in my 8am. I have decided that the 8am class is my social hour, to catch up on the lives of America and such.
At eleven we left to go to the police for our appointment at noon. An hour should be plenty for a 20 minute bus ride. HA.
Cool story called seven stories of scaffolding decided that due to the wind it was just too much work to stay in place and decided to take a little lie down in the road. You know, no worries about the cars, people, buses, little men on mopeds in the pouring rain, etc. So the 20 minute bus ride turned into a 45 minute bus ride seven blocks. At which point we bailed and walked (but let me just say that for Spanish people walking is my running. I don't know what it is, but I just wasn't given the gift of being speedy. For example for the two weeks I attempted to do track in high school, I was full on sprinting and it was everyone else's warm up. I'm just not quick. So hopefully nobody ever wants to chase me, cause I'll lose that real quick.) The walk wasn't exactly close, seeing as we'd taken five of the 20 minutes on the bus. And Mother Nature decided to just be a real pal and start bawling her eyes out on us, while also thinking it would just be nice to continue with the scaffolding destruction strength wind. I tend to just laugh when freaking out, so I was walk/jogging (YAY LIGHTNING!) and laughing and about ready to cry because it was freezing and I looked like I had stood in an ice shower for five minutes in all my clothes. Let's just say, that upon arriving at the police, I am really surprised they didn't think I was some crazy person trying to blow everyone up and/or cry and get free food.
We got there at 12:05 so missed our appointment and thus got to sit waiting in our soaking clothes in the wind for an hour. On the bright side, they just finger printed me (and don't even worry, I already sent my prints to the FBI and I haven't been convicted of murder/terrorism/child-napping/grand theft auto/blood diamond smuggling, you know, all the regulars) and then sent me on my merry way, allowed to return 45 days later for my card. No bother that my visa is up in three weeks. It's Spain, stop worrying. Of course.

Let me just not jinx anything and say I AM SURE it could have been worse, I could have been the one smushed by the falling construction work, or swept off a dock by a massive wave, or run over by a crazy person on a moped, or not been fed a delicious dinner. But I am obsessed with rain, and even I wasn't obsessed with yesterday. Or today, since it was basically the same story.

But you don't even KNOW how awesome the lighting and thunder is right now. If I was braver/not freezing I'd go scope it out, but I might be tempting fate then and would probably get fried like a squirrel on the powerlines behind my house in Steamboat. Those little buggers just seem to have the worst luck when it comes to getting buzzed. (Lizzy, my friend at CSU, just really loves squirrels so she might cry when she reads this. She is yet to fall in love with geese though. I'll convert her. Because let me just tell you: the geese at CSU are pretty adorable, minus the little digestive presents they leave you all over.)

If you want some mad puddle jumping, or want to watch people get crushed by scaffolding or surfers get pummeled by hurricane force winds, hope on a plane, you know where to find them! OH and quick funny story: my Spanish teacher was asked by some Americans how to say "cheers" in Spanish, but she thought they said "what is your name" so she said "Gema!" and they progressed to say "Gema!" every single time they had a drink. I don't even want to know how many times I have said something equivalently as mixed up as that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment