Sunday, March 13, 2011

Straight to you from New Castle

Okay so here is the British scones recipe that I traded for my paella recipe! From Jonathan the Brit. I will give you his original version, and then my converted version. If I were you, I'd go by his if your measuring containers allow because I'm not the number one world genius when it comes to conversions.

Jonathan's Recipe:
Okay for like 10 scones you need:
225g self raising flour. pinch of salt. 50G Butter. 25g-50 fine sugar. 150ml milk. One egg
preheat an oven to like 220C
mix the flour egg salt and butter together
stir in the sugar then add the milk to form a kinda soft dough
then on the bench or something kneed it a little and pat it down till its like 2cm thick. Use a cutter if you have one or just push a cup down to get the shape and all that. Put on some backing foil. Beat the egg and glaze the top.
Oven for like 10-15 mins or just until the start to turn golden
bon appetite or whatever the Spanish equivalent is

Okay so here is my breakdown of his recipe:
225g of self raising flower= 1 and a half cups plus two tablespoons of self raising flower (the ingredient stays the same! miraculous!)
A pinch of salt: let's hope you know what that is.
50g of butter is approximately 4 tablespoons or a quarter of a cup.
so 25-50g of sugar is 2-4 tablespoons of sugar... how sweet do you like it?
150 ml milk is 3/4 of a cup of milk
and one egg.... do you want me to convert that for you?
220 degrees C should be 428 F so let's say 425 since that sounds like something my mom would say.

Now follow his directions, and his other tip is NOT to put foil over them and cook them on the grill (stove top) because that doesn't work as he found out when attempting to make scones without an oven. True words of wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment